Monday, September 28, 2009

Day Ten

Today I worked on Item #95 (try five local restaurants I've never been to), and it wasn't even too directly in conflict with Item #56 (get to a weight I haven't seen with both feet on the scale in mumble-mumble years). I have a teenaged babysitter who just loveloveloves The Grind here in town, and I could never quite see the appeal since it appeared to be nothing more than a drivethrough coffee shop sharing a building with the Taco Time.

It's so nice to be wrong sometimes.

As it turns out, The Grind is quite a bit more than a drivethrough coffee shop. It is run by someone who loves it, and you can tell. The decor is eclectic, the seats are comfortable, and you have the feeling that if you stayed for two hours and put your feet on the low table (since they're just the right height for it with the red squashy armchairs), you wouldn't get in trouble for it. Everything from the pictures on the walls to the bamboo posts forming an alcove for wi-fi users has clearly been chosen because someone liked it and wanted to see it there every day. My friend and I stayed and talked for nearly two hours, and I can see now why the high school kids love it.

Given that I have been making wonderful progress on my food-related goals (and not so much on my fitness-related ones), it says something that I'm four paragraphs into this before remembering to mention that the sandwich was absolutely delightful - I have never heard of putting pecans and dried cranberries in chicken salad, and now I can't figure out why everybody doesn't make it that way. Delicious!

So yeah, I guess that turned out to be an accidental restaurant review. I wonder if that good deed might negate a few calories from the chicken and dumpling soup ...

No comments:

Post a Comment