Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day Five


It is Terry Pratchett's fault that I am tired today. Indirectly, anyway.

I was looking around for new recipes (item #8), and since I've been re-reading all of Pratchett's Discworld novels, I thought I'd flip through the highly entertaining "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook." Among such delicacies as "Bread and Water", "Toasted Cheese Sandwiches" (which involves the invention of at least one war machine), and a recipe for dwarf bread which purports to be edible to humans, I found the somewhat more useful recipe for "Jammy Devils." Small, warm, buttery, jammy, and more dangerous than Lay's potato chips when it comes to eating just one more.

I decided to take a picture, since they looked so delicious, and also for Item #74 (photograph all 101 tasks). I laid them out on a blue and white china plate, and put a pretty blue napkin under them.

Something was missing. Ah, a teacup!

It looked silly with no tea in it. So I brewed some tea.

It smelled very good. So I drank it.

It tasted very good. So I had another cup. Well, two, plus several more sugar lumps than are technically necessary.

Not too surprisingly, the caffeine did what caffeine does. I laid awake until a ridiculous hour, finally drifted off, reluctantly dragged myself out of bed the next morning, and reminded myself once more of just why it is not a good idea to drink strong black tea in quantity after 10 p.m.

Thanks so much, Mr. Pratchett. Let's do it again some time!

1 comment:

  1. I love to read your writing...it's so conversational and fun! Plus, your Jammy Devils look delightful!

    ReplyDelete