Monday, May 24, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Forty-Eight

So, dear readers, whose biography do YOU think I should read?

I haven't read all that many, come to think of it. Here are the ones I can think of that weren't required reading for college:

Jen Lancaster (her autobiography is at five memoirs and counting, all of them hilarious)

Maureen McCormick - Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice

Carrie Fisher - Wishful Drinking

a recent memoir of a badly behaved young man, which I regret having read and won't link here

Dean Karnazes' running autobiography, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner

Alison Weir's marvelous biographies of members of the British royal family: The Princes in the Tower; Elizabeth the Queen and The Life of Elizabeth I (both about Elizabeth I); Children of Henry VIII; and The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Another one which escapes me entirely, and even my sophisticated Google skills can't locate it - it's the autobiography of a female FBI agent, and quite a lot of it is blacked out, which makes it that much more interesting.

I'm about a third of the way through An Army of Angels, a novel that is so exceptionally detailed and well-researched that I hesitate to call it a novel at all. I started it before the project began though, so I won't count it as one of the five.


I am hoping to read Mark Twain's long-awaited autobiography when it comes out this year. Apparently it has been locked in a vault at UC Berkeley for 100 years, and I'll at least take a look at it ... however, if the report is true that "It really is 400 pages of bile," I may give that one a pass. I enjoy autobiographies very much, but I'm fine with well-written biographies as well. Political figures, military leaders, musicians, writers, evil villains ... pretty much anybody who was personally interesting and loved what they did. I'm open to suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. Teddy Roosevelt's life always makes for interesting reading. I believe he has written an autobiography and even some fiction (which would count toward #6, right?). If you can't find his autobiography, then I know there are several biographies on this amazing president.

    Also, I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of Jake Deshazer's autobiography (I want one for me anyway. This exceptional man - who attended the same church as my family - was a WWII pilot and one of the DoLittle (sp?) Raiders who was held in a Japanese POW camp after his plane went down in China. While he was a prisoner, he became a christian and then after the war, traveled to Japan as a missionary.

    Non-presidential biographies are on my list too, so I'll have to check out some of the ones you've mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I would love to read that - let me know if you track down a copy!

    ReplyDelete