Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Sixteen




Well, THAT was fun!

Last week I finished Item #95 - try five local restaurants I've never been to, and here they are:

9/28/2010 - The Grind, reviewed very favorably here, earlier in this project. I still get hot chocolate there at least once a week, and I've gone back again for the chicken salad sandwiches.

11/27/2010 - The Sassy Onion, which I visited with my friend Terri. I really must go back, preferably with Terri because I really like talking to her. The words "cheese", "grilled" and "fresh" feature prominently in their menu, which is right up my alley. Especially the "cheese" part.

2/4/2010 - Chipotle Grill, which I visited with my friend Heather. We talked for hours, enjoyed extremely good (and surprisingly environmentally responsible) Mexican food, and solved all the problems of the world. Well, maybe not ALL of them, but we had a darn good time!

2/19/2010 - Cascade Baking Co., reviewed not quite so favorably here. I keep meaning to go back and buy just a plain loaf of bread and see if I like it better when it's not toasted to death.

4/18/2010 - The Wild Pear, which I sort of visited many years ago, but it was in a different location and looked totally different and I'm not actually sure it's the same menu, so I'm counting this as a new restaurant to me. My friend Emily and I sat at a table by the window and talked for the best part of two hours, and didn't leave until we realized that a) our parking meters were running out, and b) it might be nice of us to vacate our completely primo spot for the lunch crowd. The staff never made a peep about us staying so long, which was quite nice of them. I'll definitely be going back to this one!

Darn ... I should've said I wanted to try TEN new restaurants.

4 comments:

  1. Looks nice. I presume the photo was the Pear?
    Haven't read the reviews but I will.
    Please try a burger place, but not McDs or any other other chain folks and file a report. TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous reader - yes, I didn't really clarify that, did I? The picture above is from the Wild Pear, downtown on State Street.

    I would love to try a new burger place, but I'm not sure there are any in Salem I haven't already been to several times. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered that I had read the reviews since they were in previous entries by you. I liked the link to "Food with Integrity" slogan.
    Have you tried these:
    1. Willamette Burger?
    2. Burger Basket?
    3. Speedy Burger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried the Burger Basket and liked it, but never heard of the other two. Thank you for the suggestions, whoever this is! :)

    ReplyDelete