Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day One Hundred and Sixty-Five

Several days ago I tried a new restaurant for Item #95 (try five new-to-me local restaurants). I had lunch at the Cascade Baking Company on the recommendation of a friend who raved about their Farmhouse Cheese bread. I think I might have done better to just buy a loaf of it instead of having lunch. I had a cheese sandwich (one of my absolute favorite foods) with a couple of kinds of cheese on their Salem Sourdogh - it's good, crusty bread, but it was a little too crunchy for sandwiches. See?

It's just not a moist enough bread to tolerate being grilled like this instead of tossed on a pan with a little butter. I ended up gnawing on the crusts and finally had to skip the last bits, and I like breadcrusts! I could tell, though, that the bread itself was good, it just wasn't a very good way to prepare it. I plan to go back and get a loaf of the same stuff and bring it home for toast and sandwiches - we'll see how that goes.

Good cookies, though. ;)

2 comments:

  1. If it tasted good, was it the crunch noise that bothered you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the noise is fine - it was more the "is this going to poke a hole in the roof of my mouth if I bite it too hard and stab its crusty goodness up into my brain and kill me right here at the table?" that was the issue.

    ReplyDelete