Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day One Hundred and Sixty

I am 16% of the way into my 1001 days, but I have only accomplished 8% of my list.

(pondering)

I am not going to let this bother me.

There, glad we got that settled. So here's my latest recipe, obtained (of all places) from the recipe pages of the Reader's Digest. The kids were less than impressed with the capers, but after all the trouble I went to for them, I wasn't about to surgically remove them from the finished dish just to avoid offending their delicate sensibilities. (Laughing here - I was going to edit that sentence, but it is such a perfect example of my writing professor's warnings against lack of clarity in your pronouns [see Item 13], I'm just going to leave it and let you figure out what's being surgically removed from what - or from whom.)

This caper jar ... if they really want to make cars theft-proof, all they really need to do is make it so they're airtight with doors that unscrew, and have this company manufacture them. I could not get that lid off. Not by running it under hot water, not by using the little grippy thingie that works on virtually everything, not by using The Glare, that baby was STUCK. Fortunately, deep in the dim and dark recesses of my mind where grade-school science lessons are kept, I remembered something about breaking a seal to loosen a ...

Oh.

Um.

Yeah, never mind, that was practical experience from nursing one of my children, the Human Remora.

So. Anyhoo, the caper jar. I finally realized that the problem was not the lid, but rather the tight seal. Breaking the jar (while appealing on many levels) would not improve the quality of the capers. The lid, however, turned out to be no match for a hammer, a thumbtack, and me in full-on "I Am Elastigirl And I Can Do Anything" mode.

Here are some of the ingredients:



Noodles, cherry tomatoes baked with bread crumbs and olive oil and capers and I forget what all else, and fresh-grated Parmesan with little bits of fresh Italian parsley which is NOT the same regular parsley so make sure you use it if the recipe calls for it. Then you stir all that together and let the cheese get all melty, and then you try to get your kids to eat it. I took a picture of it when it was all stirred together, but it tastes MUCH better than it looks, so I will spare you that sight. 9 recipes down, 11 to go - yum!

Elastigirl is my hero.

1 comment: