Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Sixty-Three

Time for another new recipe! (Item #8 - I will be sorry when this one is finished.) This time I made quiche, real quiche, as in full-on gird-up-your-loins brandish-your-knife get-out-the-butter French-cuisine quiche.

I have to keep reminding myself that Julia Child cooked for a living, had a team of slicers and dicers and stirrers to do her bidding, and wasn't trying to plan her mealtimes around youth group (and, as it turned out, bedtime). When she says "25-30 minutes," take it with a large grain of salt.

Oh, well ... it tasted good, and besides, don't some European countries routinely eat dinner at 8 p.m. anyway? There, that's what I was doing, a real European-style dinner. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.



If nothing else, at least the crust will be good - I got this recipe from the German lady who used to do the cooking for the large family next door to my childhood home, and I'll pit it against Julia's recipe any day of the week. (I mean, not that I've made hers, since it involves enough butter to float you clear to the middle of next week, but I still bet mine's just as good.)



This was a new one for me - I've never made anything with a partially baked pie crust, and apparently you're supposed to butter (of course) the underside of the tin foil and weight it down with dry beans, to keep the crust from puffing up. I didn't have dry beans, but the rice worked fine.




My word, that it is a lot of butter.



OK, so maybe the calories are worth it if it comes out looking like this.



And there you go - one slice of Quiche au Fromage de Gruyère, comin' right up.

Hmm. This dinner is very ... yellow.

Ah well ... probably had a zillion calories, but it was worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Damn, woman, I wish I lived a lot closer than I do.
    Yuuummmmmmy! And I do mean the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deeeelicious! I love quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love quiche...and yours looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete