Friday, June 18, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Seventy-Three

I did another one of Item #27, the picture-taking expeditions. This time I went to the Washington State Capitol grounds in Olympia, which is just a few miles from where I grew up. I spent an hour or so walking around and taking pictures, and realized that I could easily have spent at least that much more time if I'd allowed for it! I restricted myself to the parts of the grounds that were between the fountain and the Capitol building, but I hope to come back another time and take more pictures of the rest of the grounds.

Here are a few of my favorites. (Some of these will also go into the Windows & Doors project.)



Clearly built when buildings were buildings, men were men, women were women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.



half of a self-portrait?



Hello lamppost, whatcha knowin'?
I've come to watch your flowers growin'.
Ain'tcha got no rhymes for me?
Doot'n'do do, feelin' groovy.



I do love stairs.



looking up into the rotunda from as close to the center of the building as possible without standing on the State Seal, which is (needless to say) frowned upon



the floor of the rotunda as seen from the balcony in front of the Senate chambers




The pillars at the front of the Capitol, which apparently are also holding up the sky.

3 comments:

  1. Building washing on order?
    Your hair is long!
    Building was also constructed when money was prevalent.
    Nice pics of a place I haven't seen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous reader - glad you enjoyed the pictures! I haven't been there myself in many years, and the trip down memory lane was a real treat. My last visit there was definitely before my fascination with architectural patterns developed, so I saw it with very different eyes this time.

    And yes, I'm about four inches away from completing Item #92, growing my hair out to my waist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the kids there just today. Some of them didn't remember our last visit, so had to make sure they remembered before we moved. You would've loved it today, a high school acappella group was arranged all around the dome area--some on the steps and others on various levels. It was the most amazing sound surrounded by such a lovely building. A most satifying day. Katia got to play on the Bluthner grand piano in the reception room. Really fabulous day. :)

    ReplyDelete