Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day Three Hundred and Seventy-Two


See how those towers look like they are very high in the air? That's because they ARE very high in the air. One hundred and ninety feet to be exact.

And see those cables hanging down from the towers? You can't see this in the picture because my camera couldn't get the whole thing in the shot at once, but they are attached to a two-person seat, and they are STRETCHY. Two hundred and fifty feet in the air, that kind of stretchy.

(And - this delights me no end - for my non-American readers, that's about 58 meters and 76 meters respectively. Hurrah for readers in Canada, England and Australia!)

I went on this in order to fulfill Item #88 at the Oregon State Fair earlier this month, and Boo got very brave all of a sudden and decided to go with me. She ended up a little shellshocked, and needed ice cream to recuperate.


I thought about it, but I really couldn't face food until later the next day. I did fine on the ride itself, with the exception of the last few feet of the first explosive upswing. As we slowed near the top of our upward trajectory but still kept going UP, there was a sick-making moment where I thought, "No, this really is far enough, thank you, down now, WAIT not around in circles AUUUGGGHHHH!!!" Other than that though, it was quite a bit of fun. We truly could see for miles, and this was a view of the city I certainly had never had before.

Now, I'm not saying I'm getting old or anything, but I think that was probably a one-time shot. I had a good time, but my equilibrium isn't quite as steel-plated as it once was, and I felt slightly cross-eyed for the entire next week. (Although that may have had something to do with going on the swings immediately afterwards. In case you were wondering - BAD IDEA.)

Fortunately, my memory's not what it used to be either, so as long as I don't re-read this post, I can go on it again next year! Wheee!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, for some things I love being a spectator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you spent too much time outside or had gotten heat stroke or something! Boo looks sooooo much like you in that picture, must be the eyes. What a fun memory for you two to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing. you are truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete